- The programme hopes to develop in our pupils an appreciation of our rich environmental heritage as well as inculcate in them the responsibility to preserve and protect it.
- Green Citizenship@MPS through the 4Rs approach has been specially designed to achieve the following objectives:
- To enable all pupils to possess a global outlook and operate within a multi-national settings.
- To train pupils as young “Green Ambassadors” in promoting social harmony and raising awareness on protecting our environment.
- To provide opportunities for pupils to have a first-hand engagement with community partners.
- To develop pupil leadership and character development
- Collaboration with NParks, NWCDC, Semcorp, NEA and Senoko Energy since 2005 and had been
recognized through the following awards (current):
- 3R Award Gold (2012)
- Green Audit Sustained Lotus (2012)
- Silver Award for Community in Bloom (2012)
- Corporate & Schools Partnership – Gold (2011)
- Recycling Outreach Programme – Sustained Achievement (2011/ 2012)
- Singapore Restroom Association – ‘Happy Toilet’ Gold (2011)
- CapitaLand Green For Hope (Max sum awarded) (2009-2011)
Project Coffee Compost:
Primary 4 students are engaged to collect and recycle coffee grounds from cafes and turn the coffee grounds into fertiliser. The fertiliser is used in the school’s gardens and also distributed back to the community as a way of “giving back”. To increase greater ownership and nurture greater sense of responsibility in our students, in 2015, the project extends with our Primary 4 ambassadors reaching out to neighbourhood coffee shops.
Project Buddy Clean:
A key environmental project where Primary 5 students are assigned as buddies and facilitators to Primary 3 students. The younger students learn basic cleanliness acts such as mopping the floor from their seniors and each group takes charge of assigned areas in the school such as the classrooms, corridors, hall and canteen. The project focuses on inculcating the right values and practising of social-emotional skills, rather than perfecting the cleaning process. Through the project, the students are offered opportunities to interact with the school cleaners and understand their duties better, thereby deepening their sense of gratitude and appreciation towards a role in school that is commonly taken for granted.
Every Marsilian is set to become a responsible learner and compassionate leader, which is why our Primary 4 students have taken the lead to make clean and conducive toilets their responsibility, and at the same time, influence fellow Marsilians to do the same. This is achieved through the decoration of the toilets, making it a welcoming place, thereby promoting ownership.
Green Citizenship Day @ MPS:
A fun-filled day of hands-on activities for all Marsilians to come together to do their part for the environment. Activities include Recycling Art, Book Swap, and making of T-shirt bags. This is also the day when Marsilians demonstrate values in action through litter-picking activities at Woodlands Town Garden – a park adopted by the school, and Project Mail from Gaia – an initiative by our Primary 6 Marsilians to reach out to the community to raise public awareness on environmental conservation.