Marsilians will be able to perform, improvise and create.
Developing the music and performing arts potential in students to provide them with the appropriate skills to appreciate and participate in the Arts.
- Marsilians to have basic literacy in music.
The six-year music programme at Marsiling Primary School provides all students with opportunities to pick up, build and hone various music skills while being exposed to different genres of music and instruments. Through the curriculum, students learn to appreciate the diversity of cultures in our world.
- Levels P1-P4: Engaging With Songs, Our World Through Songs
Students from Primary 1 – 4 are exposed to a variety of songs from all over the world. Besides experiencing, conceptualizing and applying the various musical elements and skills, students are also inculcated into the socio-historical and cultural background of that particular country based on the song.
- Levels P5-P6: GarageBand – ICT Music
Students in Primary 5 and 6 improvise and compose music using technology. Employing the use of iPads, students are empowered to make musical decisions in their improvisation and compositions based on their prior knowledge (from Primary 1 to Primary 4) of the various musical concepts and elements.
In Curriculum Enrichment AMIS Programmes:
- Level P1: Movement through Music
Students discover how to make use of their body and spaces around them to create dance moves in response to different types of music they hear in this module.
- Level P2: Singing (Voice Exploration)
Students go through different vocal exercises and song games to learn how to project their voice and pitch accurately. They also learn good singing and breathing habits in this module.
- Level P3: Fun with Percussion!
Students will be exposed to a myriad of percussion instruments and learn how to play on them. They will also learn interlocking rhythmic patterns and play as an ensemble.
- Level P4: Beatboxing
Students will be exposed to beatboxing, a form of vocal percussion whereby the drum beats; rhythm and musical sounds are produced using one’s mouth, lips, tongue and voice.
- Level P5: Ukulele Module
Students embark on a ukulele module and pick up different strumming patterns / techniques, master the basic 4 chords (C, G, Em and F) and gain confidence performing in front of an audience.
Talent Development: Music MasterClass
Students who show potential from the ‘In Curriculum Music Enrichment Programme’ will be identified and invited to attend Music MasterClasses planned for the respective levels. These sessions are the intermediate level of the Music form that they have experienced during their Music lessons.
Students from the MasterClasses will be encouraged to participate in Niche Performing Arts CCAs such as Choir, Chinese Dance and Malay Dance to represent the school for SYF Arts Presentation to build up their portfolio for future application of DSA via their CCA participation when they are in Primary 6.
- P1: Movement through Music
- P2: Singing (Voice Exploration)
Platforms for students: Through a number of platforms supported by the school, students have various opportunities to explore, to experience and be enhanced in their performing capabilities. Year after year, there is an increase in the number of participation in the different platforms and Marsilians are gaining confidence in performing on the various stages.
- Busking in the Light: Marsilians are encouraged to perform for one another in a non-competitive environment and “Buskers @ MPS” provides them with this opportunity to do so. “Buskers @ MPS” takes place fortnightly during the students’ recess time. The staff and students of MPS enjoy the regular busking performances that takes place at the canteen. Outstanding performing groups identified through this platform will be invited to perform for the Teachers’ Day Concert.
- AAD (Awards & Appreciation Day): Marsilians get to showcase their talents and celebrate their learning in the Arts in this annual year and event. Parents of performers are invited for this event to watch and witness their child’s performance or art works.